Do you have crazy busy kids and you’re running out of ideas on how to keep them busy on rainy days? While it would be fun to just kick them outside to play and be one with nature, sometimes the weather is not so forgiving.
Coming up with things to do can be super tricky, especially when it’s day after day of not being able to go outside. That’s what I get for living in the Northern Hemisphere.
Keep reading for some things that I do to entertain my kids when we can’t go play outside.
Related:Educational and Fun Kids’ Shows On Netflix
20 Greatest Apps For Kids That Don’t Require Wifi
The Secret To Raising A Happy Kid
*This post contains affiliate links: Read the full discloser here.
Getting The Kids Busy
We actually did leave the house in the morning on this winter storm day because my 5 year old had Kindergarten. So our boredom didn’t really hit us until noon.
That being said since it was noon, we had to make lunch and warm up the house a little bit. I envolved my kids in the making of lunch and that kept us all busy for about an hour. We ate lunch happily and boredom hit again.
I’m not totally against screen time, but I try to limit it and since it was only 1 pm, I didn’t want to approve screentime just yet. I ended up spending time with my 5-year-old working on his cutting skills and reading books. I threw some pencil crayons at my 3-year-old and he happily colored along with us. Activities like this really strengthen the relationship between my kids and myself and honestly, we spent about an hour doing that too!
By 2 pm we were struck with boredom once more, this was definitely trending on our day. I wanted to really keep the kids engaged so we made some chocolate chip muffins together! I love getting my boys baking in the kitchen. We learn a lot about teamwork and patience. We also get a little extra quality time together which is a huge bonus for me.
Since our tummies were full and I was pretty much exhausted for the day, I said yes to a movie. But I had conditions.
- I was to pick the movie.
- We were to cuddle on the couch with a blanket together.
- There was to be many snacks and popcorn available.
- And we all had to be nice and quiet so Mommy could get a little rest.
We ended up watching The Peanuts Movie which is a feel-good family movie that gives me the warm fuzzies.
After our little movie adventure, which went quite well I must admit. There was very little jumping around and lots of cuddles were shared.
I turned off the TV and started dinner. I make the kids play with their toys until dinner is made. I love how their imagination starts to really work when they forget about TV, Computer, Ipad, Nintendo DS and whatever else they have to play with, My 5-year-old actually acts like a 5-year-old should, playing with toys, running around the house and making funny noises.
Letting their imaginations run wild like that is my favorite thing in the world.
More Ways To Keep The Kids Entertained
In case some of you visiting my blog were expecting more exciting things to do at home with your little ones, I have compiled alternate activities you can do at home.
- Pretend to be superheroes! Your kids will never be bored again. Grab a couple of these DIY superhero costumes for boys or girls, and just let their imaginations run wild!
- Whip out a monthly treasure box like this one that’s customized to your child’s age! We use Hoot For Kids once a month and love it.
- Get scientific with a customized science experiment that’s shipped to your door. Green Kids Crafts is the ultimate boredom buster!
- Try a busy book! You can get them on Etsy, DIY one off of Pinterest or find someone local who makes them! #GoLocal
- Jump in the tub. I can usually get a full hour of “quiet” when my kids are in the tub. I can park my butt on the floor and get something done off my to-do list.
- Netflix and chill – check out these educational Netflix shows!!
- Put on some music and watch the little ones groove. Wait, why do they get to have all the fun? Join in!
- Get out the Play Clay and let the little ones mix the colours and make all sorts of fun things. We have all sorts of fun Play-doh sets like this one. Something about squishing play-doh into strings is just irresistible to little ones. You can even find recipes to make your own play clay.
- Cutting things up. Draw some lines on a blank piece of paper and instruct your kids to try to cut along the lines. Of course, the older children can do this perfectly, so make it more difficult by making them cut out patterns of shapes.
- Finger painting. My kids paint every day, they just LOVE it!
- Spray Gun painting. We have this spray gun that my son requested for Christmas this year. I only take it out on special occasions because you have to plug it in and it makes a bit of vibrating noise when it’s on. But it is so much fun, both my 3 and 5 year old begged me to bring this out once a week.
- DIY Moon Sand. This one is loads of fun. All you need is flour and baby oil, pretty standard stuff.
- Put on a movie.
- Build a fort in the living room
- Create a hammock under the dining room table
- Bake cookies / muffins / bread. My kids love to lick the spoon, so I always have helpers.
- Tidy rooms! This is not a popular choice of activity, but hey, if the room is messy and they come to me saying they are bored, they can clean their room first.
- Make fake snow.
- Create a craft from your Pinterest craft board! I know you have one, so go utilize it!
Easy Dollar Tree Easter Crafts
Canada Day Activities Kids Will Love
The Best Heart Shaped Crafts
- Create a simple obstacle course with furniture.
- Read a book together- or 20.
- Print out a new colouring page and let the crayons loose
- Make paper airplanes. This one is so much fun for us. I am constantly making paper airplanes for my 3-year-old. #Obsessed
- Set up a scavenger hunt
- Glue pasta onto paper. This is a fun, messy, but no prep activity, Kids love glue.
- Blow up a balloon or 2 and let them play.
- Build lego together. You can get pretty creative and building something really cool together. Youtube is a good friend for this, see if you can replicate a tutorial video!